This Easter we decided not to fly out one of the many destinations in Asia that are just a hop, jump and skip away from Hong Kong, and stay put. Even though we’ve lived in Hong Kong for three years, there are still so many places that we still haven’t visited in this world city. One place that we’ve always wanted to check out a bit more was the W Hong Kong Hotel in Kowloon. I’ve used the W Hong Kong Hotel for training courses and had breakfast there. On both occasions, I was extremely impressed by the modern chic decor, facilities and superb service.
Situated on top of one of Hong Kong’s premier shopping centres, Elements, and Kowloon Station, which is on the same block as our apartment, it was obviously very easy to get to. We know this area intimately and love living here. If you’re visiting Hong Kong, it’s a great location to stay since there are a lot of restaurants around, shops and very accessible transportation (taxis, trains and buses).
Another thing I like about the W Hong Kong is that they’re active on Twitter (@whongkong). It only took one tweet for the W Hong Kong to send me a Direct Message on Twitter that they’d be in touch with a 2 night deal. Jennifer Wong, Reservations Manager, gave us a media package and we locked in for 2 nights.
We stayed in their Fabulous room and it was just that, fabulous – it had all the mod cons and came with a wonderful view of the West Kowloon Promenade – facing the west, the sunsets made our stay even more enjoyable.
W Hong Kong Hotel Overview
Arnold Aranez Rating: 9/10 – Highly recommended
Location: 1 Austin Road, Jordan, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Hotel Star Rating: 5
Number of Rooms: 393
Swimming Pool: one pool on the 76th floor
Bar / Lounge: Yes
Fitness Centre: Yes
Free High-Speed Internet: No
Free Parking: No
Restaurant: 4 : Woobar, Kitchen, Sing Yin Cantonese Restaurant and the Wet Deck
Room Service: Yes, great selection and delicious!
Shuttle Bus Service: Free to Harbour City Shopping Centre
Kids Activities: Yes
Wheelchair Access: Yes
Massage / Beauty Centre: Yes
Here’s some photos that describe our stay.
What a great way to start our Staycation at the W Hong Kong Hotel with this lovely Welcome treat!
We stayed in the Fabulous Room which had two double beds and a great view of West Kowloon Promenade.
There was a great selection of mini bar drinks and snacks. They even had toys!
A large sliding door transforms the bathroom into another open space.
For those who love watching TV while relaxing in the tub, this room is for you!
Here’s the view that we had each morning.
And each sunrise.
We loved the little novel touches that the W Hong Kong put into the simplest things like door room numbers that came complete with Braille.
This is not a library but the lift lobby!
Breakfast at The Kitchen is always a deliciously rewarding time. Seven fresh juices ready to go.
Huge assortment from the bakery.
Yes. There are donuts here too!
Eggs, any way you like them.
I’ve never seen so many different types of butter!
And it was the perfect time to enjoy the pool on the 76th floor which is shadowed by the tallest building in Hong Kong, the ICC.
What we liked about the W Hong Kong Hotel:
- Super friendly staff at reception and at breakfast
- Welcome fruit and lollies
- Modern decor and furniture of the Fabulous Room
- Great view of West Kowloon Promenade and Sunset
- Automatic blinds and sheers
- Large LCD TV witih surround sound system
- Soft bed and pillows
- TV in the bathtub
- Awesome breakfast buffet
- Pool on the 76th floor with a view of surrounding arear
- Modern art around the receptioni and next to the elevators
- Great selection of room service food
- iPhone 5 / 5S / iPad Mini charger
- Great location above Elements shopping centre and the ICC. Also 5 minutes walk from our apartment
- Able to interact with the W via Twitter
- Huge range from the mini bar, even toys for kids
- Super quiet rooms where we could not hear neighbours above or next door
What can be improved at the W Hong Kong Hotel:
- Glass next to the pool was not clean thereby ruining some of the view
Having to pay for WiFi when in this day an age, when data costs almost nothing especially in Hong Kong
- EDIT : W Hong Kong now give guests a mobile device with 3G connection and unlimited local calls to use not only in the hotel but around Hong Kong! They listened and acted! (1st May, 2014)
@mr_gadget we have 1 mobile at each of our 393 rooms at W Hong Kong for our guests to use during their stay with us. Thanks for sharing!
— W Hong Kong (@whongkong) May 1, 2014
- Not being an active Starwood Member since we loved the W so much
In summary, the W Hong Kong Hotel is probably the best hotel I’ve stayed in this year. We won’t forget the welcome were given, the extensive and quality breakfast buffet and the fun times just relaxing. Thank you W Hong Kong Hotel Team!